Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Breakfast muffins

My parents popped past yesterday midmorning for a quick visit to meet my new kittens (sooooo cute) and I wanted to offer them something with their coffee. I didn’t feel like leaving the house to shop so needed to make something with what I had.

The result was pretty good. I like the combination of fruit, cheese and nuts and luckily I had all three. I combined apple, cheddar and walnuts with a very simple nutty wheat muffin dough and ended up with a relatively healthy, tasty, breakfast muffin which was quick to prepare and was a very welcome midmorning tea snack. Adam and I polished the rest for breakfast this morning.

Apple Cheddar and Walnut Muffins
Makes 12 medium muffins

1 egg
¼ cup of vegetable oil
1 cup of milk
1/3 cup of sugar (brown if you have)
2 cups of whole wheat flour or nutty wheat flour
2 ½ tsp of baking powder
½ tsp of salt
1 ½ cups of strong cheddar cheese, diced into small cubes
1 cup of apple, peeled and diced into small cubes
½ cup of walnuts (or pecan nuts), chopped

Preheat your oven to 180C˚ and place the wrack in the middle. Grease a regular 12 muffin tin.
Whisk together egg, oil, milk and sugar. Sift in the flour (the nutty wheat bits will stay in the sieve, just add them afterwards), baking powder and salt and stir until well combined. Fold in the cheese, apples and walnuts.

Fill the muffin moulds almost to the top as they will not rise very much. Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. Allow them to cool slightly before unmolding them. Best eaten warm. I like serving them with grated cheese, honey and butter on the side for your guests to add if they like.

2 comments:

  1. Devine! I didn't have apples so i used bananas but turned out Great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great combo. I love banana muffins!

    ReplyDelete