Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Bircher muesli my way




I'm not a breakfast eater, but I have learned that if I skip breakfast I start to crave all the wrong things throughout the rest of the day. I usually start my day with fresh veggie and fruit juice but at about 10h00 I start to feel a bit peckish. 

On Sunday I made a batch of bircher muesli which I have kept in the fridge till now. I have eaten it as a mid morning snack (Adam has had it for breakfast) and it has helped keep my blood sugar balanced. When lunch time comes, I'm not ravenous, so I naturally moderated my portion size and choose healthier options. 

And it tastes delicious! 

Bircher Muesli
Makes about 5 cups and lasts for 2 – 3 days in the fridge

2 cups of oats or cereal of choice
2 - 3 cups of fruit juice (I like to use apple or berry juice)
½ cup of coconut milk or yogurt
1 pinch of salt
1 cup of chopped nuts of choice
½ cup of omega mix seeds
1 tsp of vanilla essence or equivalent vanilla extract

1 cup of fresh (or frozen) berries of choice
1 cup of grated apple or pear

In a sealable container combine all ingredients except the fruit and allow to soak for a few hours or overnight. Add extra apple juice or water if you feel the mixture is getting too dry at any point.

Stir for a bit to build up a creamy texture, then add the grated fruit and berries and combine lightly.

Can keep for a few days in the fridge if stored in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment